Tuesday, August 19, 2014

familia as performers, part 1: Danny DiPietra and The Headlights

Discovered that a video of my dad's band, The Headlights, Tampa roots-rock phenomes circa the early to mid 90's, now lives on YouTube. I think this video was taken before they were chosen to tour with Roger McGuinn (of the Byrds).



I forgot how dreamy Steve Robinson was/is, how Steve Connelly makes me feel personally connected to Neil Young and Tom Petty--a timbre that shapes so much of my sensibility. what a character Scott Dempster is. And then,  there's Danny DiPietra on the drums (video camera focuses on him most about 16 minutes in). Swimming in his drum element, perfect.







Oh yes, and--that last song Steve R. singes, "Unicorns and Rainbows"--helps me to realize why I failed at writing a concept-essay-poem for the new Gurlesque anthology. Because I did grow up with the Gurlesque, but it wash;t just or all about girls for me.

And here is a link to their performance with McGuinn on The Tonight Show. Dad does a Mary Tyler Moore ear tug at the end, to tell the family on the other side of the TV, far from LA, that he loves us.

on Twitter

, where this blog lives now. because it can be read and posted to through that app, one-handed, on my back, by a body of water, or in the cool olive green light above my mattress. This is articulation my spine had not dreamed of before.

My blog lived on Tumblr for a minute

because it is so much easier to access from my phone. fallinginrealtime.tumblr This is the feed. No, I don't like it. I can't add another virtual box. I'll make due with Twitter.

Real Time Archive